I was reading this blog post From Classic to Hydra and I was wondering which version of Ouroboros is currently implemented in Cardano: Classic, BFT or Praos?
Updated: July 26th, 2022.
Ouroboros family implementations
- Classic implemented in 2017
- BFT implemented
- Praos is currently running
- Genesis development's in progress...
- Hydra development's in progress...
- Crypsinous development’s in progress...
- Chronos development’s in progress...
- Omega brings together Classic, Praos, Genesis, Redux, Chronos, etc...
Details you can find in my medium story Twenty interesting facts about Cardano.
Some of the above algorithms have mutually dependent ingredients for launching a certain era:
- Byron Era (Foundation) – reached in 2017
- Shelley Era (Decentralization and delegation) – reached in 2020
- Allegra Sub-Era (Token locking mechanism)
- Mary Sub-Era (Multi-asset implementation)
- Goguen Era (Smart Contracts, DeFi, Dapps) – hit Testnet in September 2021
- Alonzo Sub-Era (Smart Contracts implementation)
- Babbage Sub-Era (Eliminates flaws of Alonzo)
- Vasil Sub-Era (Increases network's scaling capabilities) – reached in July 2022
- Basho Era (Scaling) – development's in progress...
- Voltaire Era (Governance) – development's in progress...
3And Omega is in planned state as far as I know. If everything is OK next year should be implemented. Sep 10, 2021 at 8:11
Thanx a lot @PetarEnchev, I've inserted it. Sep 10, 2021 at 9:05
1Very clear. Thank you very much! Sep 10, 2021 at 14:32
1What about Ouroboros Chronos and Ouroboros Crypsinous?– user142Oct 2, 2021 at 9:50
1According to this tweet Ouroboros Chronos should be part of Omega.– user142Oct 2, 2021 at 10:03