I was reading this blog post From Classic to Hydra and I was wondering which version of Ouroboros is currently implemented in Cardano: Classic, BFT or Praos?
Updated: July 20, 2023.
Ouroboros family implementations
- Classic implemented in 2017
- BFT implemented
- Praos is currently running
- Genesis (development's in progress...)
- Hydra (development's in progress...)
- Crypsinous (development’s in progress...)
- Chronos (development’s in progress...)
- Leios (development’s in progress...)
- Omega (brings together Classic, Praos, Genesis, Redux, Chronos, etc...)
Details you can find in my medium story Twenty interesting facts about Cardano.
Some of the above algorithms have mutually dependent ingredients for launching a certain era:
- Byron Era (Foundation) – reached in 2017
- Shelley Era (Decentralization and delegation) – reached in 2020
- Allegra Sub-Era (Token locking mechanism)
- Mary Sub-Era (Multi-asset implementation)
- Goguen Era (Smart Contracts, DeFi, Dapps) – hit Testnet in September 2021
- Alonzo Sub-Era (Smart Contracts implementation)
- Babbage Sub-Era (Eliminates flaws of Alonzo)
- Vasil Sub-Era (Increases network's scaling capabilities) – reached in July 2022
- Basho Era (Scalability and Interoperability) – be ready for it in 2023
- Voltaire Era (Governance) – development's in progress...